Thursday, July 6, 2006

KTC Summer Swap Questionnaire and Responses

Greetings, KTC Summer Swap Pal! I'm so happy that Melanie of Tea Leaves is organizing this swap. As there's not a whole lot of time between match up and mail date, let me stick to the women travelers theme and get a move on. Here's my questionnaire and responses.

Yarn, knitting, crocheting, and spinning:

1. What is your favorite type of yarn or fiber?
I love wool yarn. I'm too new at spinning to have a favorite fiber.

2. Any yarns or fibers you absolutely hate?
Hate is too strong a word. I dislike most synthetic yarns, although they can be useful, particularly when traveling.

3. Any type that you would love to try but haven't yet?
Any fiber suitable for a newbie spinner or just about any yarn from Habu is an adventure!

4. Any yarn allergies or sensitivities?
Rabbit angora.

5. Favorite colors?
Pretty much anything except brown or neon brights.

6. What is your favorite type of thing to knit or crochet? (i.e., socks, lace, fair isle, shawls)
My favorite project is always my next one.

7. Any knitting tools you would love to have?
For traveling, small project bags and yarn bras.

8. Favorite tools you already have?
The Hoffritz stork scissors with wicked sharp points that DH gave me. I love how their form and function complement each other, including the pointed beak and the eye.

9. Favorite knitting designer?
It's hard to pick just one. Most consistently, Norah Gaughan.

10. Favorite knitting book?
Barbara G. Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns 1 & 2.

11. Any knitting books or patterns you would like?
I'm a newbie spinner with no library, so anything about spinning. I'm saving my pennies for Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan.

Food:

1. Favorite foods/flavors?
Seasonal fruits and vegetables from my garden or the greenmarket. Chocolate. Ginger chews as a specific against traveler's tummy.

2. Foods/flavors you dislike?
Rutabagas.

3. Any food allergies?
None.

4. Do you like tea or coffee?
Tea.

Books:

1. Favorite genre?
Besides knitting, I dunno, maybe natural history. SF is a guilty pleasure.

2. Favorite authors?
Mary Gordon, Marilynne Robinson, Edith Wharton.

3. Top three favorite books?
The list is constantly changing. Right now: Regarding the Pain of Others by Susan Sontag, Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, and Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm.

4. Anything you dislike to read?
I'm generally not fond of mysteries or romances.

5. Do you like to listen to audiobooks? Cassette, cd or mp3 format?
Listening to audiobooks makes me sleepy, which can be good when traveling, as long as I'm not driving! All formats OK.

6. Do you enjoy nonfiction as well as fiction?
I tend to read more nonfiction than fiction, but it's the great fiction that stays with me.

Misc:

1. Other hobbies besides knitting or crocheting?
Bicycling and spinning.

2. Do you collect anything?
Bicycle maps and 50 State Quarters. I'm currently looking for the Nebraska quarter.

3. Favorite scent?
Lavender, ginger, pine.

4. Any scent you dislike or are allergic to?
Gardenia.

5. Music that you like?
For traveling, Motown!

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

are you still looking for the nebraska quarter, asks the nebraskan?

sounds like a fun exchange