Thursday, July 6, 2006

TdF Stage 5 (Beauvais to Caen) Report

At one-quarter of the way into Le Tour de Fleece, I'm happy-happy-happy! Big George is fourth in the Tour de France General Classification and I have 60 m (65 yd) of 2-ply yarn and two rolls of singles ready to be plied.

First TdF yarn

(If you're curious about the state-of-the-art equipment roundabout Exit 151, yes, those are T-P rolls.)

I love the ever-changing hues of this jewel-tone roving. It may not be apparent in the photo, but the skein is predominantly true blue, while one roll of singles is mostly peacock and the other is periwinkle. I'm going to spindle on rather than ply them together. There are more colors to come, including more blues and purples and some bits that vary from dark sea green to pale seafoam, like a Jersey Shore wave.

My TdF goal is to spin laceweight. It would seem all the training paid off, as it usually does. I was spinning sportweight in June, but here's three strands of my TdF 2-ply next to one strand each of green JaggerSpun Zephyr, gray Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace, and black Rowan Kidsilk Haze. The blue, peacock, and periwinkle is more noticeable here.

Laceweight yarns

Looks like laceweight to me (teehee). At this rate, I estimate my 4 oz (113 g) braid of roving will yield about 500 m (546 yd) of yarn. Woo-hoo! Just call me La Patronne – and bring on the Pyrenees!

4 comments:

CrazyFiberLady said...

Your spinning is absolutely lovely and the progress is inspiring. Those blues are gorgeous.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

OH WOW. I am amazed. Your laceweight is beeeeyooootiful!

Beth said...

Oh yeah - definitely laceweight. And gorgeous to boot! I love the colors.

Lisa said...

What excellent spinning! Definitely laceweight. And thanks for the great pictures of the parade. Somehow, we just didn't make it there.