Tuesday, April 3, 2007

S2K Short, Not Stealthy

More crafting time than initially anticipated became available, so I spun up the second S2K orphan swap skein for my nonsecret pal, Crystal. This one started life as Merino roving that was Kool-Aid dyed for the Twisted Knitters DSK-along, from my first foray into dyeing fiber. I spindle-spun it into laceweight singles. Crystal mentioned she likes beady bling, so I added beads and plied up 36 yds (33 m) to fulfill the orphan swap specs.

   

Stringing the beads was, as always, tedious. I'm inordinately pleased that my handspun singles held up well to abuse beads sliding along its entire length. I find fine singles tend to pigtail; the beads added extra weight which greatly reduced that annoyance and did not impede plying. All told, this was the fussiest spinning I've ever attempted, an interesting exercise.

Both the beady skein and the blue skein are now on their way to Crystal – I hope she enjoys them and am curious to see what she'll do with them.

3 comments:

knitseashore said...

Beautiful spring colors!

Bee said...

dude you made designer yarn... all those beadies ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is absolutely stunning. I might bring my spindle to SnB for a lesson from the MASTER.