Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Squee

Modern Yarn (Exit 148) has Noro Kureyon Sock in stock in lots of colors – I hurried on over and got some! Here are colorways S40 and S149, plus some first impressions.

Kureyon Sock, S40 and S149

Kureyon Sock is single-ply, 70% wool, 30% nylon, 420 m (459 yd) and 100 g. It has a hard twist and a crunchy feel. The colorways look a lot like worsted weight Kureyon – Noro lovers will recognize them immediately. For example, here's Kureyon 149 and Kureyon Sock S149.

Kureyon 149 and Kureyon Sock S149

However, Kureyon Sock has a very different hand than Kureyon. It's somewhat like Silk Garden Light, somewhat like Donegal-style yarns – the closest thing I can think of is an old Rowan yarn, Kaffe Fassett Light Tweed 4-ply. I like a range of yarn textures, and I like this one (at least so far), but I imagine that knitters who prefer only very soft yarns, such as Malabrigo Lace (another single-ply yarn), will find Kureyon Sock harsh, even wiry.

Washing instructions

There's a persistent rumor that Kureyon Sock is machine-washable, but the washing instructions on the ball band indicate that is definitely NOT the case. I'm guessing Kureyon Sock f-f-felts almost as readily as Kureyon.

Curiously, the projects that first jump to mind aren't socks. I'm thinking of Shetland lace and some colorwork (for which the nylon content is not needed). However that may be, I'm looking forward to knitting a bit and sharing the results – stay tuned.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Hot damn!! It's a christmas sock miracle! Gotta get me some of that.

Jessica said...

Wow! That was fast! You are definitely the first I know to actually get your hands on some. I think it's really interesting that the yarn is a single instead of plied. Wonder how it will hold up. And it definitely looks as though they just took their popular colors and put them in the sock yarn. If it ain't broke.... ;)

Jeanne said...

Beautiful colorways - but I really wish it was superwash...I don't have good luck with remembering not to wash wool socks in the machine!

Kirsten said...

Aw, now I've got to get myself to Modern Yarn and grab some of that yarn!! I'm tempted to try some wash tests. One would think that the nylon content would help. . .
I like your idea of lace projects for it. There's lots of potential!

Lynn said...

Looks like it's time for me to make a trip up the street to Modern Yarn. (For that *and* some Koigu!)