Thursday, October 6, 2005

Codename: You Could Even Say It Glows

I just saw an ad on TV for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Roundabout Exit 151 the leaves are still green, yet here is incontrovertible proof that it's the time of year for super-secret projects!

First on the needles is Codename: You Could Even Say It Glows. This mission project, if successful, will be accomplished by Halloween. Spurred on by the incontrovertible proof, I hastily cast on and worked about four inches.

The essence of a super-secret project is super-secrecy; the essense of blogging is telling the world. To compensate for the lack of a work in progress photo, here's yet another surprise from my yard (I call it mine, but there's all manner of wonders going on, quite unbeknownst to me). There's a small strawberry patch that's blooming and bearing (in October?) in a quiet corner. I didn't plant it. It wasn't there in July.

Photo of volunteer strawberry

The plants are charmingly gracile, but they must be tough – they're taking over from some English ivy. They bear flowers and fruit below their foliage, like Fragaria virginiana, except I've never seen Fragaria spp. with yellow flowers. The fruits are the size of pencil erasers, smaller than a Fraise Tagada, and intensely red. I have yet to see a green one, but the ripe ones wink pertly from under their leafy covers when one walks by. That's what I noticed.

Something else I just noticed: there's another SP6 question.

30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
Using Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' excellent system: circumference 8 in (20.3 cm), length 9.25 in (23.5 cm). I like thin, stretchy socks. Also Christmas stockings full of Christmas oranges.

Hm... does subliminal advertising really work? What do you think?

No comments: