Sunday, January 8, 2006

Secret Pal Seven Questionnaire and Responses

Greetings, SP7 pal! I'm currently on a journey deep into the heart of darkness, that is, taking stash inventory (the horror, the horror!). This task has come to color all my knitty thoughts, plans, dreams, and responses to this questionnaire.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
LOL. I love natural fibers, but find that synthetics can be put to good use too.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
This year I want to learn to handspin. I also hope to crochet more. For someone who crochets as an adjunct to knitting, I seem to have accumulated an inordinate amount of crochet cotton.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
In theory, straights are in a long box, circulars in a bag, dpns in another bag, interchangeables in their own case, hooks in a chipped mug. In practice, needles may be found in the knitting bag (with or without knitting on them), behind the sofa, or fallen into a wormhole from which they emerge sometime later strangely unchanged.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Over 20 years. I have a lot of experience, but still am learning new things, which is wonderful.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No. Online commerce can be useful, but whenever possible I try to support my LBS, LYS, greenmarket, etc.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender, ginger, and pine.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes! I especially enjoy trying nostalgic treats and regional specialties.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Gardening is my fave, but painting and fixing the house absorb the most time.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I can play mp3 files and particularly enjoy knitting podcasts. Alas, I'm still on dialup, so it takes all night to download things!

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I spend a lot of time in NYC = wear a lot of black, so I like anything that goes with black, except neon brights.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Sorry, that's personal.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, yes, yes. I even have indoor and outdoor versions of each. Please don't judge me.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Wool or wool-cotton. My all-time favorite is Rowan Wool and Cotton (sadly discontinued).

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Some acrylics are unpleasantly crunchy. Rabbit angora because of allergies.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Stash inventory! The plan is to catalog everything, upgrade müth-proofing, separate the sheep from the goats – er, make that keepers and non-keepers – and knit up as much as possible... to make room for new stuff, of course.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
LOL. I'm a process knitter, so my favorite is always my next project.

17. What are you knitting right now?
In between taking stash inventory, I'm working on a pair of modular socks and a multidirectional scarf.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It depends on the task at hand.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
In theory, bamboo for size 3 and up; metal for 3 and under; steel for really fine stuff. Don't much like plastic (or exotic wood). In practice, I use whatever works best with the yarn – and I adore my set of crazy faux tortoise dpns.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes. I generally don't wind yarn unless I'm going to use it immediately.

22. How did you learn to knit?
By making swatches from Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting 1 & 2. Kaffe Fassett's Glorious Color remains an inspiration.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Some date from the age of the dinosaurs. I confess to bad cases of both second sock syndrome and second sleeve syndrome.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I dunno. I enjoy animated movies, but don't really have a favorite character. If I had to pick, maybe Cookie Monster or Felix the Cat or Totoro.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
The Fourth of July (U.S. Independence Day). Roundabout Exit 151, it's a community celebration with a parade, various expressions of civil rights, barbecues, and fireworks. I usually ride in the parade with the bicycle unit.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Yes, 50 state quarters. Right now I'm missing Kansas and West Virginia.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None. I just buy the issues I like. VK, IK, and Rowan are favorites.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
EZ's Knitting Around – I'm thinking about making a pi shawl. I'm looking forward to the new books from Mason-Dixon Knitting and from Wendy Knits!

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
What a question for a process knitter! Magic loop, handspinning, and needle felting top the current list.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. Using Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' system, circumference 8 in (20.3 cm), length 9.25 in (23.5 cm).

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
September.

No comments: