Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pay It Forward

Pay It Forward is a pyramid scheme with a difference, which I'm coming to via Minnie (also seen at Andrea's, Anne's, and Norma's, among others). The PIF pledge:
I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

That's all there is to it. Well, except I'll need your mailing address (email it to jerseyknitter [at] gmail [dot] com) and it's implicit that all participants have a blog (sorry, blogfree readers).

I'm well aware that to some altruism may seem like piffle, or even an opportunity for fraud. I've certainly had my share of exchange pals who did not hold up their end. That said, it seems to me the existence of People Doing Wrong is cause for caution, but not for bitterness – to my mind it simply underscores the need for PIF, not negates it. So [tralala] I'm tickled to be in Minnie's queue and eager to get PIFfling myself.

Louet Gems and beads

Who'd like to play? I haven't decided what to make, although right now I'm thinking happy beady thoughts!

ETA: Alrighty! My PIF queue is Alotta.Knittin, Janine, and Lisa. Would-be PIFflers can stalk their blogs or the other blogs mentioned (Kim is PIFfling too) for more chances to join.

6 comments:

Alotta.knittin said...

This is a great idea! Let this be my comment requesting to join this PIF exchange.

Janine said...

That does sound like fun, count me in!

Anonymous said...

I saw this on Tina's blog (Phoenix Fiberworks) and was one of the first 3 commenters. Still need to post the whole PIF thing on my blog. Hey, I'm the 3rd commenter so does that mean I'm participating in your PIF? Suffering from Wednesday confusion here.

Ina said...

Just to clarify: Alotta.knittin and Janine are participants 1 and 2 in my PIF. Kim was commenting, not joining, so there's still room for a third participant.

Lisa said...

Oh, why not! It's a great concept and I do have a whole year to make something! I'd love to join too.

Ina said...

Great! Lisa is participant 3 in my PIF queue, so that's it for me.

Disappointed would-be PIFflers can stalk the blogs of Alotta.knittin, Janine, and Lisa for more opportunities to play.