Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tricot Fist Sock of Irony

For April Sockdown! I started a tricot fist sock of irony. Some gentle readers may consider that distressingly violent language, but I figure if the boys may have their toys – if Eisenstein can have a kino fist and "Stefen Colbear" can have a flaming sword of truthiness – surely I can have a tricot fist sock of irony.

Ruffles & Bubbles sock

The SOI is Jeanie Townsend's Ruffles & Bubbles (available from the Townsend Socks Knit-Along). Without the bubbles, because it's ironic. The ruffles are made separately, then knit onto the sock leg. I modified the pattern by reducing the stitch count, knitting the ruffles in the round, and staggering their placement. They remind me of ruffled pettipants and flower petals, also vaguely of sheep, of Little Bo Peep, and even of bicycle gears. (Imagine EZ's Nether Garments covered in ruffles. Gah.) I'm constructing the sock like a sports anklet, with a sturdy slip stitch heel, yet suspect the ruffles may catch on bicycle gears. Ironic.

The yarn is Lang JaWoll Cotton, color 0094 Natural. It's a perfectly good yarn, but I do believe it may bear the stupidest name I have encountered to date and that is saying quite a lot. If you know of a stupider, do tell.

I picked the pattern because the ruffles are similar to the cuff of Kaibashira (late of MagKnits and now on Knotions – hooray!) and also emblematic of my first weekend in May dilemma: MDS&W or Tour de Montclair? With these socks, wherever I am, I'll have a small reminder of wherever I'm not. Sock of irony!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute. They remind me of the socks I wore when I was a little girl. (That's a compliment.)

Bezzie said...

EEK! I kind of cringed at your comparing the ruffles to bike gears--what if you were riding your bike wearing them and they got caught?
I like them. I'm thinking my next pair of socks needs to be cotton as well.

Devorah said...

Those are adorable! My ruffled socks don't catch in my gears if that makes you feel better ...

Sweet Camden Lass said...

Oooh, I do like those! ~x~

Deborah said...

The socks are brilliant!

Oh, and speaking of little girls... check this out:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/doll_bag/doll_bag.html

Kelli said...

Cute sock! I have never knit a sock in cotton...interesting...

I too am torn between cycling (www.bikenewyork.org/) and Maryland sheep and wool.

Must...do...both!

Jessica said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel very uneducated when I read your posts sometimes! It took me a while to "get" that first paragraph (but I'm not exactly having a good day either). LOL! They are very cute socks. Ironicle even. ;)

craftivore said...

I love the ruffles, now you need some saddle shoes to go with them.

knitseashore said...

I would not want to have to choose between a bike tour and a S&W festival -- I don't envy you there! :)