Friday, December 3, 2010

Sock, Shop, and Gardens

Surely the balance of the universe demands that for all the mystery KALs gone wrong, there must be at least a few that go right. So far, so good on Stephanie van der Linden's Advent Calendar KAL – I'm quite liking her mystery sock, Gaudete, inspired by the socks her grandmother used to make. There's also a family resemblance to those oh-so-chic Loeffler Randall Stirrup Socks.

Gaudete in progress

The new-to-me yarn, Forbidden Woolery Footloose, colorway Otoño, reminds me of a slightly heavier version of Malabrigo Sock – very soft and spongy, with little sproing. Ordinarily I might worry about luxuriously comfortable but slouchy socks, but the vertical and bias ribbing of Gaudete compensates nicely. I tell you, it's the balance of the universe.

Forbidden Woolery Footloose, colorway Otoño

For those interested in bending that long arc of the universe, roundabout Exit 151 tomorrow is the Holiday Shop Hop, which features locally made, gently used, and Fair Trade items. Be sure to have your passport stamped to win prizes.

Also, Cornucopia Network is sponsoring the last Open Gardens of the year. To me, gardens that produce even in late fall or early spring are the most impressive of all – have a look.

1 comment:

~RaenWa~ said...

That colorway is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what your socks come out.