Thursday, June 30, 2016

Prosperous Voyage

On the last day of the month my June Camp Loopy ship has safely come in: behold my 3 Color not-Cashmere Cowl by Joji Locatelli, blocked and styled as inspired by stashmaven.

3 Color Cashmere Cowl, styled

The kindly mods in the Lace Lagoon thread indicated June projects need only be done, and do not require blocking, but I have an aversion to rumpled FOs, especially rumpled lace FOs. At casa Jersey Knitter, blocking is not optional.

3 Color Cashmere Cowl, blocking

That's so much better!

The pattern is simple and well-written – an easy, straightforward, fun knit. As always for me, the challenge is finding sufficient time and motivation to knit. I opted to change the ribbing and not "correct" the jogs at the end of rounds as I find the jogs endearing, the fixes not so much. For the BO I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy BO, but on reflection I kinda wish I'd used a tubular CO and BO for something so close to the face. The interesting alpaca-cotton yarn, Manos del Uruguay Serena, shares many of the best traits of each constituent fiber. I thought it might bloom alpaca-like after washing, but instead it retained the crisp stitch definition of cotton. It should prove to be a comfortable three-season cowl when cowl season comes around.

As long as I was emulating others, I struck a pose similar to the designer's. Let me tell you, it was hot in there!

3 Color Cashmere Cowl, modeled

Suffice to say that as a fashion photog, I'm no threat to Richard Avedon, recently in the news.

Overall, I enjoyed the first month of my first year at Camp Loopy and the company of great mods and congenial fellow-campers. Initially I wasn't sure I wanted to go camping all summer, but June was so pleasant, I'm getting ready for my July project, Simple Straight Skirt by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas, using Cascade 220, colorway 4002 Jet. I'm assigned to Gold Pirates.

Yarn for July Camp Loopy project

The July theme is Buried Treasure, that is, a long-queued or long-desired project. I've always wanted to knit a skirt, but somehow never have. Hopefully this is the year!

No comments: