Sunday, December 16, 2007

No More Humdrum Mittens Swap 2 Questionnaire

Greetings, mitten swappers!Mitten Swap 2 button After a bracing morning spent shoveling today's wintry mix, it was on to my No More Humdrum Mittens Swap 2 questionnaire (sign up open through January 12). I'm looking forward to the swap!

How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
Since before When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. I've taken a few classes, but am mostly self-taught.

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Knitting is wonderful – I'm fairly advanced, yet I'm still learning new things.

Bird in Hand mittenWhat are your favorite colors? Any you dislike?
Mittens may be unique among garments – I can't think of any objectionable colors.

Do you like Latvian type patterns? If so, what are your favorite patterns?
Yes. Also Estonian mittens, Maine mittens, Swedish mittens, Selbuvotter, etc, traditional mittens, modern designs. I heart mittens!

Do you desire mittens for yourself, your "special someone else" or your child?
For meeeeeee, please.

What is the measurement from your wrist to the tip of your longest finger?
7 inches (17.8 cm).

What is the circumference of your hand at its widest point?
7.25 inches (18.4 cm) around the knuckle without the thumb. 8.5 inches (21.5 cm) where the thumb separates from the palm, including the thumb.

Snow shoveling mittensWhat other things do you enjoy knitting?
Usually there's at least one sock or lace project going at all times, but I'm a process knitter and my favorite project is always my next one.

What sort of needles do you enjoy working with? (straights vs circs, bamboo vs aluminum)
It depends on the task at hand – I have some of each.

What’s one project you’ve not yet tried but are dying to make?
There are three capstone projects on my life list: a wedding ring shawl, Maple Swirl socks by Debbie New, and Foolish Virgins cardigan by Kaffe Fassett.

What’s one yarn you’ve not yet tried but are dying to work with?
Riihivilla Finnwool.

What other hobbies do you have? Do you spin? Sew? Garden? Cook?
I garden and spin (bicycles and spindles).

Besides yarn, do you collect anything?
50 State Quarters - 2008 is the last year.

What kind of goodies do you enjoy? Sweets? Salty?
I enjoy sampling regional specialties.

Swedish mittenAnything you hate or are allergic to?
Angora (sadly).

Do you have any kids? Pets?
Sorry, that's personal.

What is your favorite part of Winter?
Crisp, clear weather – perfect for frolicking outdoors and showing off handknits... as long as one has warm shelter, good food, and plenty of handknits.

What is your least favorite part of Winter?
Dreary, sloppy weather. Or, in the immortal words of Ezra Pound:

          Ancient Music

Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm.
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.

Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.

Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.

Sing goddamm, damm, sing Goddamm.
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.


Many thanks to Deb for organizing this swap. There's no question that a good pair of handmade mittens makes winter so much better!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Hot Damn! A mitten swap!

Anne P said...

Hiya! Thanks for popping into my blog yesterday. And so now I know about the mitten swap (what Kim said!) - which is even better. :)

dragon knitter said...

just out of curiosity, i measured my own hand. now, admittedly, i wear a size 5 1/2 wedding ring, but here it is: 6" from base of wrist to longest finger tip. 7 1/2" around the non-thumb part of my hand, and 9" around the thumb part. you must have really slender hands! (miss v swears i have baby hands, but i wonder sometimes, lol)