Friday, January 25, 2008

B is for Bored

B is for bored. The red Monkey sock, it bores me.

Red Monkey

It began life inauspiciously on a plane to nowhere and despite a fine adventure has not blossomed. Besides adding it to the bazillion UFOs buzzing roundabout Area 151 there's only one thing to do. Out with Monkey...

Red Monkey frogged   

... in with Scar by Julie Gardner, the Sock Wars II pattern. Games based on Assassin aren't my bag, but it amuses me that the fierce scar stitch is just a simplified butterfly stitch. For whimsy, I put one at the top.

Scar

The pattern calls for sportweight yarn and – somewhat incongruously for warriors – makes an ankle sock. I've modified the stitch count for sockweight and will make mine taller. I'm too lazy to recondition the yarn to relax the kinks, but I'm pretty sure they'll come out in the wash.

I'm Mohair button

In another effort to cure the blahs, I took The Knitter's Book of Yarn quiz and got a real and a virtual button. I'm Mohair! Thanks, Potter Craft... but Bah! (Or perhaps that should be Baa!) I greatly prefer knitting with wool, best of fibers.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Better mohair than asscrylic. I'm going to go take that quiz. I like the Scar pattern. Quite a few people seem to be going through a Blah sock funk right now.

Kim said...

I took the quiz! I'm Angora. But I really like the image on the Oddball button better so I'm getting that one in the mail.

Calling on Kahlo said...

I loved this! I took the quiz and I am angora. In fact, I took the quiz six times and never landed on oddball. I totally swiped for my blog, as it is brilliant!

Sorry about the funk with the socks. I haven't been feeling the socks lately either. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sock - I really like the yarn - what is it? I took the quiz - I'm angora too - too funny!

Anonymous said...

I like the scar sock- the yarn is great. Too bad the Monkey bored you- I haven't tried it yet. Apparently I'm a camel- I'm a bit inelastic!

Ina said...

Jeanne: The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in 107 Red Rover.

craftivore said...

I'm Angora like Kim and Jeanne. I wonder what in the world that means? I love the color of your sock, whatever it turns out to be.

Lisa said...

Hello from one Mohair to another.

Katie, a dyer at Yarn Love said...

I had to take the quiz. I was originally a camel but the description did NOT fit me at all! (Oddly enough it was very appropriate for my hubby.) So I retook and came out an angora. The description and my personality seemed to fit!