Wednesday, July 27, 2011

How I Learned to Stop Worrying

Actually, I'm still worrying, I'm just trying to put the nervous energy to good use. Jenn and Kimberly organized the Couldn't Foot It challenge – to knit a pair of socks during the four days of Sock Summit 2011 – and I'm knitting along. There's an official start and finish, 9 a.m. July 28 and 4:30 p.m. July 31 PDT, and an official list of patterns (selected because they were all knit by Yarn Harlot, eyeroll). The knit-along will be televised live available in real time via Ravelry and Twitter (#notatsocksummit) and a Flickr pool and Google+. There may even be an update or two on this blog.

Carbon footprint yarn

Speed knitting benefits from a certain amount of advance preparation, both mental and material. After noting Kate Atherley's progress on (and distraction from) Project Black Sock on Knittyblog and her own blog, I decided not only to revive my carbon footprint project but also to stop overthinking it.

Pattern and yarn

So I'm planning to knit plain black socks along the lines of the sock recipe on p. 131 of Knitting Rules. And I'm not going to think about the pity party aspects of the knitalong or the fannish pattern list or the attribution of Authored Pattern™ status to directions that have appeared in knitting books long before When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth – no, no! I'm just going to sit and knit.

1 comment:

Kaye said...

Ooo...that's a great idea. Plain black handknit socks. I'm still wearing black socks I wore when I got my first job (at 16!) where black socks were part of the uniform. (I stayed there long enough to be promoted over my now-husband so I could write him up for wearing white socks--hahaha!)