Thursday, July 28, 2011

Socks in (Almost) Real Time

While the charms of liveblogging generally elude me – I can see its value for citizen journalism, less so for a hobby journal – I'm giving it a spin for the Couldn't Foot It challenge because it's summer and I'm too lazy to post incessantly on Ravelry and Twitter (#notatsocksummit) and the Flickr pool and Google+. To spare gentle readers some of the self-referential noise, I'm placing all the updates in one post, creating a sort of blog within a blog (this is the framing device).



Monday, August 2

7:57 a.m.: A good, plain pair of carbon footprint socks. May their tribe increase!

Finished!


12:44 a.m.: Toe grafted, ends woven in. Missed the second deadline, but set a personal best time for knitting the second sock, all without injury. Not to mention I have socks and have blogged, but Congress still hasn't voted on the final legislation on raising the debt limit.


Monday, August 1

8:57 a.m.: Ooh! There are more prizes than finishers, so an extended deadline of 11:59 p.m. tonight has been set. knitknitknitknit


Sunday, July 31

7:30 p.m.: At the end of Sock Summit and the end of the knit-along it turns out not only I Couldn't Foot It, but also I Didn't Finish It. I got one complete sock and a partial cuff.

End of knit-along

It may be the end of the knit-along, but knitting goes on!


3:10 p.m.: First sock finished! It has the most Lupin-y toe I could manage.

Carbon footprint singleton

I'm pleased with it, but there's no way the second sock will be finished by this evening's 7:30 p.m. deadline.


Saturday, July 30

9:07 p.m.: Gentle readers may have noticed that a mini skein of Harry Potter yarn appeared in the previous post without comment. It occurred to me that if at some point (oh happy day!) I have a drawer full of carbon footprint socks, it would help sort them if each pair had a unique contrast toe.

Harry Potter yarns

Initially I thought about using the mini skein because it's the same weight of Opal as the Uni-Solid, but... it's so cute and I'm not sure there's Enough Yarn and despite its HP ballband, there's no colorway name. Which makes a difference to me. So I'm leaning toward using some leftover Lupin instead... even though it's never looked particularly Lupinesque to me.


Friday, July 29

7:34 a.m.: I knit a bit while skimming the morning headlines, which included a positive development from Detroit automakers on reducing carbon footprints.

Sock with Friday's headlines


Thursday, July 28

9:14 p.m.: Sock at SnB, a veritable paradise of tasty eatables, drinkables, yarn fresh from the Forbidden Woolery dyepots, and (of course) good conversation.

Sock at SnB

Photo via Tami's iPhone, with thanks.


12:33 p.m. EDT: Cast on A Good, Plain Sock from Knitting Rules in Opal Uni-Solid. Could not think of a more clever proof of CO. There was a brief lag between casting on and taking the pic to produce something worth photographing.

Cast on



No comments: