Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Redacted

While we wait with bated or unabated breath for the new name of the Ravelry event formerly known by a name that rhymes with and supposedly infringes on the Olympics™, I've been going back and self-deporting various words and images from my blog and Ravelry notebook. I'll use the new name going forward; going backward, I can't decide which redacted form I like best: Ravel*****s or Ravel-----s or something else. In any case it's an ironic project heading into the 4th of July, the U.S. holiday that celebrates liberty.

Reviewing the blog in order to purge it made me realize just how much I've been slacking lately when it comes to posting – I used to post far more frequently. And this when I have FOs to show off. So without further ado, here's Honey Badger by Irishgirlieknits. I love these socks.

Honey Badger socks

The pattern is well-written and cleverly designed. I especially like the way the pattern row repeat changes from every fourth row in the cuff to every eighth row in the leg and instep (kinda like my blogging, oops). I added an extra half pattern repeat for a taller sock and substituted an eye of partridge heel.

Honey Badger socks

The yarn is (sadly discontinued) Fleece Artist Basic Merino Socks, colorway Seashore. In the skein it looked to be comprised of chalky pastels, but knit up it's flinty blues, all the while somehow retaining a sense of salt air and water-rounded pebbles. It's pure pleasure to knit with – I wish I had more.

Speaking of more, my sock drawer is starting to overflow. How can this be? I still have extant Socks of Shame and I have yet to achieve my carbon footprint goal – and I have LOTS of sock yarn in stash that I want to knit. It's empiric evidence that despite my slacker ways, acquisitive habits, and disbelief, given enough time and vegetable love even a process knitter can be – dare I say it? – productive.

No comments: