Thursday, June 2, 2016

Cast Aways

No sooner did I set sail for destination Lace Lagoon for Camp Loopy 2016 (pirate edition) than I was beset with gauge issues. It was a double whammy.Camp Loopy 2016 button

The yarn I selected, Manos del Uruguay Serena, says it's sportweight on the label but for me knits closer to fingering gauge. The pattern I selected, Chilkat Cowl, specifies sportweight yarn knit at DK gauge. When the mismatch became clear there may have been some bad language, frogging and reknitting, and staying up past my bedtime. Finally the conundrum was solved by sticking with the yarn, consigning the pattern to Davy Jones' locker, and starting 3 Color Cashmere Cowl by Joji Locatelli. I hope this works. Pix to follow.

DH put in his oar by disputing the logic of the term "casting on." He opines it properly should be "casting off" and no amount of appeal to the authority of Generally Accepted Knitting Nomenclature can budge him. However that may be, the turn of the month meant the end of the One Sock KAL, and the end of progress on my second second sock, By the Seine River by Dona Knits. When last seen, the wip was a singleton. Without the KAL, I would tend to imagine the lonely only still would be biding its time on a desert island somewhere. Thanks to the KAL – to Ann and Kay and the fabulous moderators of the discussion on Ravelry – the second sock progressed to the beginning of the heel flap before being set aside in favor of cowls.

By the Seine River wip as of May 31

Meanwhile in the real world, various dedicated advocates of various worthy causes have been exhorting ordinary citizens to show their support by wearing various colors on Thursdays, and also tinting their avatars. Today is my first conflict: wear black for #ThursdaysinBlack to reject sexual and gender-based violence and #WearOrange today, Thursday, June 2, for National Gun Violence Awareness Day. Another conundrum. Sigh.

No comments: