Thursday, August 30, 2007

Almost Potterdämmerung

Just in time for the holiday weekend, my reservation at the public library reached the top of the queue. So I got book, bookscarf, Horcrux socks (it's too warm to wear 'em, but I got 'em), snifs (recommended by Dragon Knitter); there's food in the fridge (family, feed yerselves!); almost all wips have been safely stowed. It's almost time for Potterdämmerung.

Potterdammerung

The wips still in progress are my entry for the Summer of Socks Design Contest. I was plodding along on a conventional design, but after I saw New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi, I was gobsmacked! I tossed the previous design, emailed the author (who was most gracious and encouraging), and worked up a new entry based on Cedar architecture. That set me back considerably – I'm knitting like a house elf to make the September 1 submission deadline! – but I think it's well worth it.

Design Contest wips

The book (New Pathways, not H-P) is currently backordered at full price on Amazon, although alert LYSs still have stock. As I've said before, it's worth every penny. If the new sock architectures aren't enough value, the book is also chock full of elegant, innovative takes on familiar techniques – just look at this short row heel turn (and Cedar expansion).



The wrap-and-turn and conceal wrap techniques are among several that may be viewed in Cat Bordhi's YouTube videos.

Incidentally, such is the power of sock that a Google Images search on "i am lord voldemort" causes the sock I made during Sockapalooza 2 for Beate to appear! According to my blog stats, the old Sockapal-2-za progress report has become one of my most popular posts. I borrowed that copy of Half-Blood Prince from the public library, too.

Have a great Labor Day weekend – see you on the other side of the veil.

2 comments:

--Deb said...

Hurray! Have a WONDERFUL time with Harry!

Anonymous said...

You are ready to go! Enjoy! That short row heel is amazing!