Thursday, October 28, 2010

By Design

Earlier this week I finally finished the second 4 oz of Zarzuela's Fibers Targhee for the Late Summer/Fall SAL/KAL. (The first 4 oz was spun and swatched back in August.) By request, the second batch is more acid green, less red-violet than the first. It's so nice to work with an accommodating indie dyer.

Targhee all spun up

While finishing the yarn, it occurred to me that I no longer fret (or crow) about producing balanced skeins. I just spin, ply, and wash – and the skeins hang straight without blocking. Go me.



For the KAL portion of the SAL/KAL, I cast on the hybrid pullover for handspun and commercial-spun yarn in Shannon Okey's Spin to Knit. The pattern is a standard top-down raglan and has an inutterably stupid name (hence I shall not utter it). I've added a few short rows in the back to give it a nicer fit across the shoulders, and may nip in the waist slightly when I get to it.

Elsewhere roundabout Exit 151, tomorrow is the first Gardens Aglow, a jack-o-lantern illumination of the Presby Iris Gardens. I'm a klutz when it comes to carving jack-o-lanterns, very prone to accidentally severing jack's teeth (sigh), so I look forward to admiring the fine work of others.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the kind words! The yarn looks great! Can't wait to see more of the knitting. :-)