Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Another Wrap

The month of August has fleeted away with only one blog post, backwards progress from two in July. Aiya! It's a new month, time for another wrap, verily, a wrap sweater. Behold Sabine by Julie Weisenberger, worked in Shibui Knits Linen, colorway 2032 Field. Here's the front of the cardigan.

Sabine front

As per usual with Cocoknits patterns, Sabine is well-written, enjoyable to knit, and the results are delightful. The pattern calls for Superior, a luxurious cashmere/silk/merino blend, but is equally lovely and considerably cooler in chainette Linen. I'm a sucker for out-of-the-ordinary yarn – Linen sometimes made crinkling sounds when still in the skein, but it softened considerably with handling or in humid weather. The knit fabric blocked easily and drapes beautifully. Here's a view of the back of the cardigan.

Sabine back

My only lament is how long it took to start and finish the sweater, my August Camp Loopy project. Initially I swatched and cast on for Hitofude, then realized I really want a Hitofude in a different color. I tried double-dipping with the 2016 Ravellenic Games, but was DNF, shorthand for the other frustrations of my frustrating August. At least I finished the cardi before the end of August, although I posted its photo to the Camp Loopy gallery so late, I'm still waiting to learn if it beat the September 1 deadline.

Other than that quibble (which is more about my schedule than the sweater), I'm very pleased. I wanted a transitional piece, a cardigan in a rich autumn color yet a breezy summer fiber for those fall days when the school year/program year has begun anew but the weather is still sticky. Summer clothes no longer seem to match the increased formality and tempo of the season, and heavy fall fabrics are completely unbearable. Enter Linen Sabine – perfection in cardigan form.

No comments: