Wednesday, July 19, 2017

July Catch Up

After much to-ing and fro-ing and repeated trips up laundry mountain and email mountain, I've finally made some progress, begun to catch up, and am even getting my summer projects in order. I started my TdF project, spinning lovely Cobblestone Roving in colorway Sandtown-Winchester. I don't have a specific goal beyond simply enjoying spinning along. Let me just say this stuff is easy to enjoy – a good choice for the over-busy. I recommend it highly.

TdF spinning

Then there's my woefully neglected Camp Loopy projects. This year Camp has gone chthonic – it's all about things forgotten or undiscovered in the earth, dinosaurs and caverns and the like, researching which led me to the delightful but apparently defunct blog Dinosaurs! WTF?, source of all dino links in this post. Ah, the irony, and its converse, the wrinkly.

Anyway. The yarn for the June project was ordered with such high hopes in May. It's Cascade Ultra Pima, colorway 3777 African Violet, and came with an assignment to the extremely chatty Camp Stegosaurus and a Velociraptor totem. I cast on a CeCe by Bonne Marie Burns, DNF on time. I'll get back to it... eventually.

June Camp yarn: Ultra Pima

The yarn for the July project was ordered in June. It's Rohrspatz & Wollmeise Lacegarn, colorway Kornblume, and came with an assignment to Carlsbad Caverns Campers and the Nearly Headless Nick of dinosaurs, Parasaurolophus [almost crested lizard], as a totem. My plan was to knit Spelunking Cardigan by Anna Dalvi, but I have yet to cast on. I may never do so. I blame the busyness.

July (?) Camp yarn: Rohrspatz & Wollmeise Lacegarn, Kornblume

And the yarn for the August project just arrived. It's Hedgehog Fibres Merino Lace, colorway Harajuku, and came with an assignment to Camp Loopasaurus and a Styracosaurus totem and an Ankylosaurus sticker (<-- do click the link). Hedgehog Fibres Merino Lace, Harajuku

The yarn is really, really bright. I swatched a bit and discovered when knit single it's too spindly for what I have in mind and when knit double it's too robust. Before I saw it IRL I had thought about swapping it for my July project... but now? Mark that with a resounding, Er....

As long as I'm contemplating antiquities, let me offer a series of three serious and one daft links on Hobby Lobby Robby Hamurabi. I'm not in the market for antiquities and hadn't really thought about this pro tip – when no provenance is given for an item, it almost certainly is stolen – but I'll pay closer attention in museums going forward. Not to mention I've never shopped at Hobby Lobby, and have no intention to start.

No comments: