Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Madness I Tell You

Perhaps foolishly, I stayed up late Saturday night to finish the qualifying sock for Sock Madness 13. I'm not quite sure why. I had decided to stay put for the worst of the winter weather, something I'm heartily glad I did, but in consequence foresee extra spring travel and busyness. Nonetheless I finished the pair Sunday morning, and sent off the notification, and in due course was informed I'd be placed on a suitable SM13 team. FOMO, I suppose.

Smock Madness FO

The sock is Smock Madness by Elisabeth White, worked in Socks That Rock Lightweight, colorway Cobblestone County. Shown with counting threads and stroopwafel, of course. Mindful as I am of my mighty heel-arch, I had a bit of trouble getting the smocked stitches not-too-tight, not-too-loose to accommodate fit and esthetics. It's a hazard of the pattern, and while I'm glad I knit this pair and qualified for SM13, I doubt I'll make another. As it is, the socks fit my feet more closely than I prefer.

Smock Madness modeled

Another reason for my all-nighter was I couldn't sleep following Friday's horrific news from New Zealand. The tragedy was custom made for hateful Internet trolls, there's live video and a manifesto full of layered ironic remarks, including praise for the U.S. president, that of course that I won't link. Roundabout Exit 151, police are on high alert guarding against would-be copycats. In Washington, per usual Trump not only denies the threat posed by white nationalism, instead echoing and amplifying nationalist rhetoric. But in NZ the response has been an inspiration for the world, from acts of heroism to outpourings of floral tributes, haka, legislative reform, and outreach to sufferers from the highest levels of government.

Sigh.

So I'm on a Sock Madness team, Happy Hokkaido, and am waiting for the Round 1 competition pattern to drop, while traveling. Madness, but also an undoubted solace in an unhappy world.

No comments: