Saturday, June 18, 2005

Secret Pal 5 Questionnaire and Responses

Hello, Secret Pal! I signed up late, but was lucky enough to get in, thanks to fearless listmom Rox. You're an angel - here's my questionnaire and responses.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
LOL. I enjoy knitting with a wide variety of fibers but covet luxe yarns.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Spin bicycles, yes. Spin fiber, no. Crochet, yes.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Linden tree pollen, gardenia, and tobacco.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Over 20 years, and I'm still learning new things.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No. Online commerce can be wonderfully convenient, but I try to support bricks-and-mortar businesses like my LYS and LBS.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender, ginger, or pine.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, one that would suit a wooly mammoth.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
The big DIY project is fixing the house. I enjoy the results, but not the doing. Gardening is more fun, except the rabbits and deer would seem to believe my backyard is a gourmet banquet just for them.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Music or spoken word mp3s would brighten my commute. Lately I've been listening to podcasts from KnitCast.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Anything that goes with black is great. Except neon brights.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
That's personal.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To knit a virtuoso project, like a fine lace shawl of incredible intricacy and stunning beauty. Or Debbie New's Maple Swirl Socks. Else something shamelessly expensive, like a qiviut or possum scarf. And I have yet to felt something, at least intentionally.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Wool or wool-cotton.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Some acrylic yarns have a disagreeably crunchy texture. Rabbit angora.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks and lace. It must be a rebound effect - last winter all my projects were bulky or superbulky.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anything with cables or lace.

17. What are you knitting right now?
Chutes-N-Ladders socks and mini Birch shawl.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
Although I'm not a Martha fan, I like ponchos and think they'll remain in style a while yet, thanks to her and J-Lo. I also like shrugs.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It depends on the task at hand.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo for sport weight and heavier yarn, metal for fine yarn. I generally don't like plastic.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes. I usually work on size 0 dpns, but once made lace socks from cotton thread on 0000s.

22. How did you learn to knit?
By making swatches from Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting 1 & 2. I love learning new techniques and am still learning.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Some living fossils date back to when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
No strong preferences. Maybe Cookie Monster or Felix the Cat or Jiji, the cat in Kiki's Delivery Service, or Totoro.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
The Fourth of July. It's a wonderful community celebration in my township, with a parade, barbecues, and fireworks.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Yes, cookie recipes, bicycle maps, and 50 state quarters. At the moment I'm missing Maine, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, I just buy the issues that interest me. I used to like VK, but now prefer IK.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad.
Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush.
Knitted Millinery by Annie Modesitt.

No comments: