Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sweetness and Bike

This time of year I crave pinky-orange things in the worst way. When my supermarket started carrying new to me Cara Cara Navel oranges, or pink oranges, of course I had to try them.

Pink oranges

Pink oranges are incredibly good: exceptionally sweet and juicy, low acid, with a delicious berry-citrus flavor. The taste is similar to a Moro blood orange, except much sweeter and without the acid. The flesh is superior, very like a classic Navel orange; the peel is more brittle and does not come off quite as easily. (I suppose I should have put a regular Navel and a Moro in the picture for contrast, but they all got eaten, sorry.) Chilling improves flavor!

Then there's the pinky-orange sweetness of Split-Toe Sweethearts by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts (in Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn). Perfect for a pajama day, if that's your pleasure.

Split-Toe Sweethearts

I loved knitting these socks, from their tabi toes to their intarsia in the round cuffs. Here's an inside view, to show that it's true intarsia, not stranding.

Inside view

There were a few pattern modifications: I worked a smaller tabi toe and added the gusset from Stashbuster Spirals to the ankle to suit my Frankenfeet. And in a lapse of attention, I knit a shorter cuff than specified. Ah well.

The tabi toe is surprisingly comfortable – I'm aware of it, but it doesn't fidget my toe cleavage as I thought it might. However, I'm a bit bothered by the limp, rayon-y Tencel sheen of the MC yarn, Yarn Botanika Radiance. I received it as part of a very generous contest prize and I do love its pinky-orange colors. Suffice to say it's not entirely to my taste, and yours may differ.

Last but not least, this morning Google announced that Google Maps will offer the long-awaited bicycling option, currently in beta.

Or view here


The bicycling option is decidedly a work in progress and should be used with as much or more caution as any Internet directions. That said, I must say I find this development very sweet indeed.

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Mmm...those oranges look good.

And showing your toe cleavage on the internet!!! ;-) I kind of like the cloven nature of those socks.

I tried looking up how long it would take to bike from here to Alaska, but it crashed!