Monday, March 8, 2010

Agony of De-Feet

Perhaps agony is an overly strong word. This weekend DH and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Philadelphia International Flower Show. The always-wonderful show seemed larger than some years, with more exhibitors and vendors, also fewer chairs. The consequences were predictable, sigh. Ah well, we got to see (and smell and buy) some pretty things.

Philadelphia Flower Show flowers

DH wanted to see the controversial exhibit of the show, stagey displays inside battered, graffiti'd cargo containers arranged as if their contents had shifted. One had Spanish moss covering the walls and ceiling, as if it had grown out of control during transit. This one was titled, "The Accident." What say you: Genius? Memorable but silly? Something else?

The Accident

I was more drawn to this Beatles-themed cottage garden exhibit in honor of the retiring Pennsylvania Horticulture Society president, Jane Pepper. She would seem to be a woman after my own heart. Notice the whimsical Yellow Submarine mailbox in the left foreground and the Trek 7700 bicycle (with basket laden with peppers) crossing a symbolic bridge.

Tribute to Jane Pepper

Speaking of the agony of defeat, there was the dark side of my Ravelympics: I was so busy with frogging and spinning that my Piscean Socks failed to progress. Alas, they are exactly the same as they were on the second day of the Ravel*****s. At least I have until March 31 to finish them for February Sockdown.

Ravelympics Piscean Socks cast on

Then there's the cuff of my March Sockdown project, Snow Queen by Janel Laidman, which is really really tight on my Frankenfoot, which does not bode well. Hm.

Snow Queen cuff

This beautiful pattern is meant to suggest falling snow, but it makes me think of falling cherry blossoms. (Yes, I know snowflakes have six points and cherry blossoms have five petals. A minor quibble.) The yarn is equally lovely, Brooklyn Handspun Signature, in colorway Pale Petals. I love Marie's stuff.

Jane Pepper's tomatoes

Tomatoes never fail to get my attention, even at a flower show. Apropos of that, a biker friend in Philadelphia is trying to get a CSA started. The location would be Old First Church, in the Center City at 4th and Race Streets. If you're in the area and interested in participating, please respond to this survey.

Redacted 6/26/12: The Ravelry event formerly known by a name that rhymes with and supposedly infringes on the Olympics™.

2 comments:

CrazyFiberLady said...

I love your posts on the flower shows. I get to see the pretties without tempting the allergy monster! :)

Bezzie said...

I thin "The Accident" is too much white. I guess it's artistic, but it seems sterile.

Love the falling cherry blossom. I've been thinking of them when I pass BBP every day. Too early?

Oh and thanks for the pass along--I'll be responding to your friend!