Monday, June 21, 2010

Old Glory

Today is the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the start of another summer and another low stress Summer of Socks. This year the weather roundabout Exit 151 is hot, the economy is not.Summer of Socks button Area townships have had to cut back on so many important services that it seems frivolous to lament scrimping on Fourth of July festivities; still, I was sad when my township canceled its parade – and happy when private donations allowed it to be reinstated. Surely that small victory calls for patriotic cycling socks.

1776 singleton

This was my SKA Scavenger Hunt sock. The pattern is simple; the unusual yarn, Fortissima Colori colorway 1776, does all the work, automatically forming red and white stripes and blue and white stars. Well, sorta. I was rather hoping for a crisp, high contrast look, but Old Glory will have to do – the stars are more like swirls and the red has bled onto the other colors. At least the sock has a bright contrast cuff and toe and a decorative zigzag bind off.

Zigzag bind off toe

Some SOSers are using a wedding theme in honor of bride-to-be and SOS founder Zarzuela. For me that would be:

Something old: UFOs!!! I could spend all summer on this one.
Something new: ooh, shiny (or why there are so many UFOs).
Something borrowed: I’ll make something out of a sock book borrowed from my woefully underfunded public library.
Something blue: it's Zarzuela's favorite color.

Although I'm also fretting about my carbon footprint. Again. It does seem to be a recurring theme.

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

I have loved that yarn and I love the way it always makes a reappearance this time of year.

Glad your town could was able to salvage the 4th of July festivities. I know their teachers aren't a happy bunch right now.

Ida said...

What a beautiful sock!