Thursday, September 28, 2023

Trying It

In this strange time, both post-covid yet also still not over it, I've become convinced we've collectively lost our damn minds. For a personal example, I'm ignoring my Excavated Object. For another, I tried Y3000 Coke, purportedly co-created using artificial intelligence. It tastes sweet n' fruity and the label is strangely soft-focus fuzzy. I don't plan to drink any more of it. I'm not sure why I drank it at all. Well, except to give it a try.

Y3000 Coke

Through the end of October Yarnia is sponsoring a Knit Collage make-along. Despite misgivings, I decided to give it a try. I bought a US size 13 (9 mm) circular needle, shown here with a pen for scale. It's really big. It's what's specified in the pattern, Bonfire Crescent Shawl

Size 13 needle

I bought the requisite yarn, main color Knit Collage Spun Cloud in colorway High Vibes. It's a fluffy bulky-weight thick-and-thin yarn plied with two strands of lurex.

Knit Collage Spun Cloud, colorway High Vibes

And I bought the contrast colors (and textures) in the Knit Collage Yarn Sampler Mini Kit, colorway Bouquet, which is comprised of 17 yd (15.5 m) lengths of Spun Cloud, colorway French Vanilla; Dreamland, colorway Circle Game; Wildflower, colorway Beatnik; Daisy Chain, colorway Grand Prismatic; Cast Away, colorway Chasing Rainbows.

Knit Collage Yarn Sampler Mini Kit, colorway Bouquet

It must be admitted I am a lover of strange yarns. This bundle is passing strange. Some of the yarn is badly overspun. Dreamland and Daisy Chain are plied with random bits of lace flowers and whatnot. Wildflower is knotted strips of thin cotton fabric. I've hand-wound the yarns into balls. Y'know, for the sake of trying it. To be continued....

No comments: