Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer's End

Today is the last day of summer in the northern hemisphere. The celestial equinox is 11:09 p.m. EDT,Summer of Socks button which seems a bit late for stunts like standing eggs on end. Howabout the neglected hurricane-delayed Summer of Socks wrap up instead?

This year I followed the SOS wedding theme, in honor of SOS founder and October bride Jessica, and didn't do too badly, especially compared with previous years' tallies. There's...

Something old: old glory 1776 cycling socks, which made their debut in the township 4th of July parade.

1776 socks

Something new: Lupin socks, which went on a hike. I wondered if the ridge from the zigzag bindoff would cause foot irritation, but it was comfortable, not bothersome at all.

Lupin socks

Something borrowed (from the public library): singleton I Heart Toe Up Sock from Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson. I modified the pattern to be a cuff down cycling sock because I heart cycling but ::cough:: I don't heart toe up socks, which rarely fit my Frankenfeet. The pretty knit-purl hearts are hard to photograph in this color, although they show up well in person.

Cuff down I Heart Toe Up singleton

Something blue: singleton Piscean Sock, pattern by the blooming frazzled bride herself. As I now have two complete Piscean socks, I suppose technically it no longer is a Sock of Shame, but... I don't exactly have a pair either, as the test knit is toe up and this one is cuff down and modified for fit.

Piscean Socks

As always, thanks to Jessica for a great low-stress knit-along – and good luck with the impending nuptials!

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Great post! And quite the summer sockage!

Jessica said...

Wow! You got a lot accomplished this summer! Wish I could say the same.

Thanks so much for the good wishes. :-)